Snippets: Lindisfarne:Tadtastic: Robins: Butterfly: Frost.


NORTHUMBERLAND SCENE from Lindisfarne

"From Beblowes' Crag to Longstone Light
The scene is clear, west wind makes bright
From Budle Bay to Fenham Flat
The "Old Laws" Obelisks at head of that.
Emmanuel's Pyramid gleaming white-
Looks o'er the Snook and Goswick Light.
North to Berwick's clamouring effrontery
Then onwards to St. Abbs the promontory.
The "Pilgrims' Way" from Beal to Snook,
Marked by barnacled poles the route,
For centuries the bare-foot pilgrims plod
In modern times by vehicles tyre shod.
The way now metalled, yet lost each tide,
Keeps the Island's Covenance, and its pride,
Its customs quaint, and way of speech,
Beyond that devil "Modernisation's" reach."

J. Brian Hague
Tea Shop, Holy Island. 1958
(Now known as Open Gate)





Twixt Edinburgh and Newcastle, The Holy Island of Lindisfarne, lies five miles off from the main A1.  It is reached by a tidal causeway. It is a deeply affecting place, with a sense of time lost, with echoes from the past mingling with those of the present. 
The poem above, was taken from the November email, we received from the Island. We must go and visit again soon.
Lindisfarne photos



LllllllLlllllllL


The 'Robins' overcame Hereford Town in the Cup replay last Tuesday (11/12) winning 1-2. They had not beaten Hereford away since 1997 and it is interesting to note that at 90 minutes the score was 1-1, so the record would have been intact. Being   a cup replay extra time was played and during this period the Robins were able to  score the winning goal.
The reward for this victory is a home, televised game against Everton from the Premier League on January 7th at 7:45 p.m.

This will be the third  Premier team the Robins have faced: Newcastle ( H ) in 2006 and 'Spurs (A ) in 2011. A great credit to the team, bringing invaluable funds to the club.

The Management should be applauded for keeping their cup ticket prices at the 2006 level; being Terraces, Adults £20, Concessions £12: Seats, Adults  £25, Concessions £15.

Currently, the Robins are playing Port Vale and are drawing 1-1 with 20 minutes to the final whistle. COYR. STOP PRESS: final score 1- 1. ( Robins third in table with 39pts., one behind Port Vale ) Still in the hunt.

LlllllLlllllLlllllL



Regular readers will remember, two weeks ago, I mentioned my admiration for Tad Williams,, the  American fantasy writer. I went on to explain I am reading the last volume in the 'Shadow ' series; " Shadowheart. "
I found myself really enjoying the book and thought perhaps I should get my own copy. However I was determined not to spend much money on this project. I therefore went on-line and eventually found a used copy for one penny (1p ). This seemed within my budget and I ordered it accordingly.

Imagine then, my great joy, when this very same book arrived the next day. How Tadtastic is that?
Furthermore it came in new condition. I'd call that a result, wouldn't you?

LllllllLllllLlllllL




In 1966 there was a record entitled " Elusive Butterfly of Love, " by Bob Lind.


I sometimes think that age itself is a little like this 'Butterfly', as we rush through the years seeking points in our lives, when we feel we have achieved something and just as we begin to pin it down, that old butterfly takes wings and flies off again.

Here's the lyrics for you, written by Glen Campbell.



You might wake up some morning
To the sound of something moving past your window in the wind
And if you're quick enough to rise
You'll catch the fleeting glimpse of someone's fading shadow
Out on the new horizon you may see the floating motion of a distant pair of wings
And if the sleep has left your ears
You might hear footsteps running through an open meadow
Don't be concerned it will not harm you
It's only me pursuing something I'm not sure of
Across my dreams with nets of wonder I chase the bright elusive butterfly of love

You might have heard my footsteps
Echo softly in the distance through the canyons of your mind
I might have even called your name as I ran searching after something to believe in You might have seen me runnin'
Through the long abandoned ruins of the dreams you left behind
If you remember something there
That glided past you followed close by heavy breathing
Don't be concerned it will not harm you
It's only me pursuing something I'm not sure of
Across my dreams with nets of wonder I chase the bright elusive butterfly of love
I chase the bright butterfly of love I chase the bright butterfly of love
Bu-bu-bu-butterfly of love bu-bu-bu-butterfly of love

LllllllLllllllLlllllllLlllllllL

Well that 'Beast from the East ' wagged his tail at us for awhile, but pushed off to the continent leaving us with warmer climes.  I'm afraid the ' Major's ' white Christmas bet might be heading for those bookies' satchels to. Nevermind, mild is good.
As a reminder of those frozen times, from early last week, here are two photographs for you.






And so finally, may I wish you all a very happy,  contented Christmastide and a peaceful New Year.

I hope to renew our acquaintanceship in 2013.

Cheerio,
    Ck.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jimmy Uttley: God's Spring Blessing

Tuesday Glory: Spring is Coming

Toys for the Boys