Way off Wonderland

I'd like to start with saying my walk was an enjoyable romp in the countryside; but alas this was not the case. The following picture gives the clue.



For as, you see, this is the mighty M4 motorway which I had to cross actually on the Way,  just outside Tormarton.
If you look carefully at the brown information sign you will see that it bears the legend " Bath Spa ", indicating, how relatively close I am to the finishing point.
This reminds me, that one brave chap is trying to run the ENTIRE Cotswold Way in 24 hours or less.
read his story here:
http://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/Cotswold/article.asp?PageId=41&ArticleId=56


After crossing this motorway on the trail to Cold Ashton, I was led along a minor road only to be met by a large barn and nearby farmhouse. Soon I was on a green, scrubby path, which led to a busy road.
This one had to cross with care, and allowed me   to view the delights of a vehicle inspection site, next to a  dubious litter-strewn copse at the side of which the Way ran.

My spirits, at this point, dear reader, sank to new depths of disbelief; Where were the Cotswolds in all this?

Fortunately, things did improve and once passed the copse, the Way climbed up a muddy track to afford a vista, looking towards Bath. This was franked by a hawthorn hedge, which led me  across a quiet road to  eventually reach a high stone wall and thus a path which led into green fields and the promise of the return to a quality walk,  in the approach to Dyrham Park and Woods.

Clearly next week should bring better times ahead.

One of my very favourite literary persons, is the Late Mervyn Peake, writer of the "Gormenghast" trilogy. He was a wonderful artist, whose drawings were commisioned to illustrate such Children's classics as "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland', "Treasure Island'  and "Through the Looking-Glass' 
I have copies of these books and Peake's drawings never fail to inspire.

For example, here is his picture of Alice growing taller from "Wonderland ' , from which I can deduce movement and emotion, from his pen-strokes.

Much more can be viewed from the following:

http://www.mervynpeake.org/index.html

I hope you get the chance to spend some time at this web-site.

Looking at these illustrations again, made me begin to read again the above books. I am currently three quarters of the way through "Wonderland" and have been struck, for the first time at the quality of the comic language used.
Here, is a sample:

"And how many hours a day did you do lessons?" said Alice, in a hurry to change the subject.


"Ten hours the first day," said the Mock Turtle: "nine the next, and so on."


 "What a curious plan!" exclaimed Alice.


"That's the reason they're called lessons," the Gryphon remarked: "because they lesson from day to day."

Taken from "The Mock Turtle's Story "  by Lewis Carroll (1832-1898).




Ciao4now
Ck.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jimmy Uttley: God's Spring Blessing

Tuesday Glory: Spring is Coming

Toys for the Boys