Way Ay: Clean-up in Bath

I made my way to Lansdown Park and Ride, a couple of furlongs down from Bath Racecourse.
I then took a bus to the centre of the city.
Soon I was at this spot, by the official start/finish of the Cotswold Way.


On 17th June 2009, in a posting: " Watch this Space "  I mentioned that, in the future hopefully, there would be a marker to confirm the Abbey as the terminal walk point.
Today (27/04/'10 ) , I can reveal that progress in this direction has been made.




As you can just about see, I found this planning application, hung on the fence, dated from February 2010, for the creation of a stone Obelisk, on a plinth, to finally resolve this matter.

Again, we shall wait and see.

Having made this discovery, I made my way from the Abbey out of Bath towards my destination of last week, Prospect Stile ( see " Under Starter's Orders" ).
Once again I have to report, that the waymarking was poor and not adequate for the purpose. One had to carefully look on lamp posts, in order to spot tiny black and gold arrow  stickers, showing the way.
I was struck, by how quiet a city Bath is and also the speed in which you leave the cityscape for the countryside.
From the moment you reach Victoria Park, just prior to the golf course, the stone of the buildings changes  increasingly to a greener aspect.



Victoria Monument




View From Golf Course





At Sion Hill, the signing becomes acceptable; as you can see from the above picture. The rest of the marking, was thankfully of this standard.



From Sion Hill, there is a wonderful view overlooking Bath,
I was especially pleased to see this 'multi-purpose' garden close by.





After Penn Hill Road, the Way joined a hillside track and the final ascent to Prospect Stile began.
I was amused to pass these thirsty cows, grouped by a Cotswold sign.





It was to be an enduring photographic finale to the walk; for shortly after that shot, at about three  'o clock in  the afternoon. I reached the end of my Cotswold Way hundred plus miles jaunt.

It has  taken me nearly a year to complete and I have seen  the seasons pass me by.  The walk has never been disappointing and indeed has been full of surprises, as great vistas have given way to often better ones.
It has been cared for, by much voluntary help and in general has been easy to follow.
A privilege to have walked over such beautiful countryside.


As I mentioned above, It has taken me practically a year to complete the Way; but for Adam Powell only less than 24 hours will do !
On 19th June at13:00 hours, starting from Bath Abbey, Adam will attempt to beat the record.


N.P. "Pomp and Circumstance March No. 1" Sir Edward Elgar fitting end to a memorable walk.

Ciao4now
Ck.

Comments

Post a Comment

please feel free to comment and point out faults.
glad to have you aboard .

Curlykale.

Popular posts from this blog

Jimmy Uttley: God's Spring Blessing

Tuesday Glory: Spring is Coming

Tree-ology: Final glories