Thames Coda: New Seasons Colours

I have now walked the Thames Path from its source near Kemble to Castle Eaton and also from the Riverside Car Park to St John's Lock, situated just past Lechlade. I will probably not bother with  the ' missing ' 3.5 miles, as it involves, walking over a mile on the busy A361 road and apart from Inglesham Church has little to recommend it.

At some time in the future, I may find myself at Oxford, Marlow or Windsor for example and will report on the Thames then.

I hope, at least, that I have shown you how, from a trickle near the source, the infant Thames, often called Isis, develops in size and power, until at Lechlade, it reaches enough maturity to; in olden days, allow barges to convey cheese and stone to London.

My last posting, tried to point, with prose, picture and video this journey from stream to river.
I must however set the record straight, by admitting, that "Father Thames" was commissioned in 1854 for Crystal Palace and was sculpted by Raffaele Monti.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raffaelle_Monti

It was brought, at first to the source of the Thames and then  later to its present spot at St John's Lock.
Therefore I took poetic licence, when I suggested, in my poem if ' Father Thames dreamed of noise and rust---', as  it did not have any validation.

But as it fitted the narrative arc, I trust you will forgive me.

Here are two further photographs of the Thames(Isis), taken near Castle Eaton, which show the river trying to break free of the encroaching vegetation.








Yesterday I visited, Hidcote Manor Garden, a National Trust Property.

For extra detail visit my post  " Sheer Brillance 25/05/'10."


The colours were  vibrant and sharp under the blue April sky. Here are three photographic memories of the day. Enjoy.














N.R. picked up for a few pence at a charity shop, and first published in book form in 1891, I am currently reading " The Picture of Dorian Gray " by Oscar Wilde. It is a great delight to read such wonderful prose; that  you feel you need to stop at points and underline sections for future reference.
Ater all this time,  the story has a shock value, with an interesting idea and remains Oscar's only novel.




Once again, have a good week ahead.
Ciao4now
Ck.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jimmy Uttley: God's Spring Blessing

Tuesday Glory: Spring is Coming

Heavy Going in Wotton