Reflections: Photographs and Poems

Tree view at Newark Park near
Wotton-Under -Edge, Glos.


Stan the Man (had a plan)
They called him the Dude,
which actually wasn't rude
because Stan dressed smart ,
which set him apart
from the others.

Came the Second World War
Stan heeded the countries' call.
Joining the eighth army corps;
the desert rats,a tough theatre
to be sure.
In Red Cross trucks, he plied
 his dangerous trade.
Picking wounded men from the
battlefield , coming to their aid.
With Stuka planes diving low, 
Stan drove carefully, not too slow.
He counted the time between each shell
and prayed he would make it back home
 from all this hell.

"Beyond the Call of Duty ' was the citation;
a brave man, from many; from our nation.
Back home reunited his wife
Stan returned to civilian life.

A draper he became and soon displayed
an artistic talent with garments he arrayed.
A quiet and modest man 
who asked for nothing more
than his family,garden and house
to feel secure.

Never angry with life, calm until the end
loved and respected, he gained many friends.
Memories still haunt at times making me sad
but of course, I remain so very grateful and glad;
because Stan the Man, was my very own Dad.

Ck13/14/11/'19




My Dad loved the trees. Here is view from Chedworth Roman Villa.



Despair 

Despair is an empty box,
with no lid.
Hides too much misery
which can escape.
Lose immediately.

Ck 04/11/'19.



Some colour from Newark Park. 
"Yes in spite of it all,
some shape of beauty moves away
the pall from our
dark spirits."
John Keats.



Wild Winter Crocus returns once more in glory in 
Tewkesbury Abbey.


Bread
Bread is not the only thing
to go stale
Drenched in facts; soaked with  social media and
having information available at the touch of a button,
our imagination runs dry.

I don’t hear the fairies at the bottom of my garden
anymore or the rippling grass 
 containing  snakes.

.
At night snuggled up in bed,I could hear my house
Take off and fly to new locations
I discussed my life within my small universe
with imaginary friends 
and all was safe and secure.


And now as I look back I become more disenchanted
With reality  and the announcement of old age pains.


Come Santa Claus and bring your magic once more.
I’ll settle for a night with childish expectations.

Not too much to ask is it?

Ck 16/11/'19.


More  flooding in Tewesbury.




With better forecasts the water should recede  and
property remain undamaged.


👌👌👌👌👌

And finally :

" Words are like leaves; and where most abound, much fruit of sense beneath 
are rarely found."  Alexander Pope.

Wifi
Ck. for now,


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jimmy Uttley: God's Spring Blessing

Tuesday Glory: Spring is Coming

Toys for the Boys